FOR USE IN CONNECTION WITH SAFETY WARNING FOR GRUNDFOS UNILIFT AP 1-PHASE PUMPS
- Q: Which products are affected?
- A: The 1 phase UNILIFT AP12, AP35, AP50 in 50&60Hz, except 60Hz Versions delivered with US plug type Please see instructions how to identify the affected product to right on this page.
- Q: Is this warning serious?
- A: Yes. Affected products could pose a serious threat to users’ health when the products are used for mobile purposes such as dewatering garden ponds etc. and there is no earth leakage circuit breaker (ELCB) installed.
- Q: What should I do if I have an affected product?
- A: Please contact Grundfos or Grundfos partner to have your pump reworked or replaced when it’s on your stock.
- Q: What can happen?
- A: The affected products can, under a number of circumstances, during installation or mobile use, give an electric shock to users.
- Q: What is mobile use?
- A: Mobile use is for example to dewater a pond, so that it is used from time to time on different
tasks. It is transported to these different dewatering applications. It is basically any kind of applications a pump is carried around for.
- Q: What causes this?
- A: Due to a manufacturing error the wires inside or near the vulcanized plug to the pump can be damaged when the cable is bended heavily. The live wire and grounding cable may be broken on the same level and
that can cause a short circuit.
Under a number of circumstances and during use where the power cable is moved
and bended this may cause that the pump housing is electrified (if no earth leakage circuit breaker (ELCB) of at least 30mA is installed).
- Q: Can I use stationary installed pump assembled in pits, tanks and wells (fixed installation)?
- A: Stationary installed pumps where the power cable is in a fixed position are not under risk (with proper grounding and earth leakage circuit breaker (ELCB)).
- Q: Why only within the mentioned period?
- A: The manufacturing error has been corrected, so products from the series produced outside the affected period are not affected.
- Q: How can the risk be eliminated for pumps used for mobile purposes/applications?
- A: Only by having the cables replaced.
- Q: How can I identify, if I have an affected product?
- A: Please follow the steps specified in our guides. Visit www.grundfos.com/XYZ for more information.
- Q: Who can help in case of uncertainties, and if more information is needed?
- A: Go to the local Grundfos website (or go to Grundfos.com and use the country selector to find your country) and see information under “safety warning”. Please contact Grundfos or Grundfos partner to have your pump reworked or replaced when it’s on your stock.
- Q: Who will pay for repair?
- A: Grundfos will cover all costs in connection with the cable replacement of affected products.
- Q: I have a UNILIFT AP12, AP35 or AP50 pump with a float switch. Does it need to be replaced, too?
- A: Yes, all cables must be replaced.
Download the instructions for identifying the affected products
Photo: Unilift AP 12, AP 35, AP 50 (1-phase)