IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTICE FOR FOOT VALVES UP TO 60 l/h (small size)
REGULAR INSPECTION OF THE PE AND PVDF FOOT VALVES AND PROPER MAINTENANCE IS MANDATORY
The purpose of this safety notice is to remind and stress the importance of assessing chemical compatibility of Grundfos foot valves and performing regular inspections of the foot valves.
Please share this notice with all dosing product users and ensure these points and guidelines are followed.
This safety warning informs you about the risk of chemical incompatibility when using a Grundfos foot valve for small dosing pumps up to 60 l/h (with or without level sensors).
Due to mechanical or physical impact, chemical degradation or chemical incompatibility, there is a possibility that the moulding of the weight of the foot valve can get worn down over time and expose the carbon steel inside the foot valve to the chemical.
In this event a chemical reaction might occur which ultimately could lead to the dosing container leaking or even splashing chemical. The level and type of hazard is very much dependent on which chemical is being dosed.
Grundfos advises and recommends:
1. All users of foot valves to assess chemical compliance and perform regular inspection and maintenance
- Always assess the chemical compliance between the PE or PVDF foot valves (including carbon steel) and the chemical to be dosed before use. Follow the instructions on the M-SDS of the chemical you are dosing. Contact your chemical supplier for further advice.
- Perform inspection of the foot valve at every container exchange, especially when putting the foot valve back in the container. A proper visual inspection of the moulded weight needs to be done: the foot valve must be replaced in case of any deformation or decolourisation
- Replace the moulded weight of the foot valve at the same periodic maintenance intervals as the dosing pump (in accordance with the Installation and Operating Instructions of the dosing pump)
2. As a further precaution, Grundfos recommends to use Grundfos Rigid suction Lances (which do not incorporate carbon steel), when dosing any chemical that reacts when in contact with carbon steel.
In particular oxidizing agents such as Peracetic Acid and Hydrogen Peroxide mixtures should be taken in to account.
Grundfos has started working on a new foot valve design covering a broader chemical compatibility.
If you have any questions regarding this communication, please contact your local Grundfos sales company.