IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTICE FOR FOOT VALVES UP TO 60 l/h (small size)
EXCHANGE ALL PE AND PVDF FOOT VALVES USED WITH OXIDISING CHEMICALS
This safety notice informs you about the risk of chemical incompatibility when using a Grundfos foot valve for small dosing pumps up to 60 l/h (with or without level sensors) with oxidising chemicals, such as Peracetic Acid (PAA) and Hydrogen Peroxides (H2O2) mixtures.
Due to mechanical or physical impact, chemical degradation or chemical incompatibility, there is a possibility that the moulding of the weight of the foot valve can get worn down over time and expose the carbon steel inside the foot valve to the chemical.
In this event a chemical reaction might occur which ultimately could lead to the dosing container leaking or even splashing chemical. The level and type of hazard is very much dependent on which chemical is being dosed.
Grundfos advises and recommends:
When using the foot valves in combination with oxidising chemicals such as Peracetic Acid (PAA) and Hydrogen Peroxides (H2O2) mixtures, the following instructions need to be followed:
- All PE or PVDF moulded black carbon weights should be replaced by a ceramic weight and new strainer
- Always use protective gear when exchanging the chemical tanks (splashing screen or goggles and gloves with long sleeves)
- Always install proper venting of the chemical tank to avoid pressure build up in the tank
- Inspection of the foot valve at every tank exchange
- Follow the instructions on the M-SDS of the chemical you are dosing. Contact your chemical supplier for further advice.
Grundfos has created two new replacement kits including the new ceramic weight and strainer to replace the actual moulded one. The replacement kits fit to both the foot valve with and without level switches:
- PE versions: PN 92700245
- PVDF versions: PN 92700239
These replacement kits can be ordered free of charge at your local Grundfos Sales Company.
Grundfos strongly urges you as a valued customer to:
1. Contact your local distributor or Grundfos for ordering replacement kits as needed.
2. Carefully monitor any foot valves used with oxidising chemicals and immediately stop use in case of any signs of oxidation (e.g. bubbles).
We deeply apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but safety, responsibility and reliability is our first priority.
The Grundfos foot valves are composed out of the following components: a hose connector for flexible tubing, a non-return valve, a strainer and a moulded black carbon steel weight and optionally available with 2 level sensors, a signal cable and a plastic cap to pass the flexible tubing. Two material variants are available: PE and PVDF.
The foot valves are sold stand alone, in kits or together with dosing pumps.